2016/03/07

Day 363: Every Thing Will Be Fine (March, 5)

THREE

I've read a book or seen a movie a while ago in which one of the characters used to say that every thing will be alright at the end. If things are not ok, it is not the end yet. 

Every Thing Will Be Fine, by Win Wenders, relates to that in some aspects, but works under a different premise: he will only leave those characters involved in a terrible tragedy when they're ok. Or fine, accordint to the title.  

And there's no rush getting there. We don't deal with such a pain in a fast pace. Each heart beats in its own rhythm, and there's no sense to expect from others the same reactions and timing. James Franco's character embodies that idea perfectly. If at first he is a bit impatient to deal with something that he had recovered from after years of struggling, soon he gets to his better senses in order to help other do the same, even if it hurts like hell. 

Our own impatience with others may be an obstacle here, preventing us to accept the beauty in how Wenders chose to talk about the healing process. He gives us a kind perspective, even if it is crude sometimes. Relationships get to its end, depression takes over, life has no meaning anymore. It is painful to see, that's why patience and compassion are needed here. But that's for me, who likes this kind of quiet and no linear pace in a narrative, even if some things seemed too cheesy to me. the last scene looked corny and beautiful at the same time. I guess human feelings are exactly like that, though. 

James Franco is not my favorite actor, I think he is kind of a douche. I'm not able to separate him from his work, I'm sorry to say. He is not bad here though. Not perfect, but not insufferable. Charlotte Gainsbourg is an amazing actress. However, for me, she conveys all the suffering and anguishing from Lars von Trier's films - I like them a lot, but they are disturbing, and that feeling is impressed on Gainsbourg for good, as I see. The fact that she doesn't change her hair, suffering expressions or even her clothes is a constant reminder of how much pain I suffered by her side. 

This movie is not easy, so my initial wariness was not out of place here. Although missing a more brilliant Wenders, I could relate to this just fine, like the things at the end. 



Every Thing Will Be Fine. Directed by Win Wenders. Cast: Rachel McAdams,
James Franco, Peter Stormare. Writer: Bjorn Olaf Johanneesen
(a name worth
of a ghotic tale). Germany/Canada/France/Sweden/Norway, 2015,
118 min. Dolby Digital (Cinema).


PS: Earlier on this day, I was watching And So it Goes on cable. The film is cute, even if a bit obvious too, I enjoyed it better than I'd have thought at first. My main thought, however, besides how Diane Keaton is getting more beautiful at each passing year, was how she always wear the same styling in all her movies. Later, I was thinking the same about Gainsbourg in today's movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment