2015/05/29

Day eighty: Away We Go (May, 28)

When I'll finally get to travel around the US, I'd like my trip to be an indie film.

Ok, this is a studio production, but its atmosphere s undeniably not mainstream (and it adopted a green filmmaking). Maybe the soundtrack of Away We Go, a 2009 movie by Sam Mendes, with John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph, inspired the thought about an indie movie trip. I'm not sure. The story of a couple that travels to many places where they have friends or family to decide where would be better raise their upcoming child has a part on it too. Both are trying to find their place in the world and  an affectionate and cherished home to their kid. They feel so inadequate to the task they have ahead that they don't imagine doing it by themselves only. So, they try to learn with others what to do, seeking a refuge and support in their loved ones. Many places, many people, different backgrounds:  I was able to relate ourselves to stories that made terribly sense to me. 

Lovely is a fit word to this movie. Pure love, a good expression. 

And too funny for my own sake sometimes was a constant thought (particularly when I choked on tangerine juice in one of many cute funny stunts by Krasinski. An advice: food and drinks should be avoided here). By the first "too good to be true" scene we can already realise that. Seriously. The beginning is already in my favorite first scenes.

I'm not sure Away We Go is a fit title, though. The sense is just the opposite in this movie. The travel, as a lot of the trips in our lives, happens actually inside ourselves, our heart, our souls, our minds. Sorry if this sounds cheesy, still it is true though. Especially a journey that has as a main goal find a fit place in the world. Not and easy resolution at all, but a really sweet one with both characters and the people around them - family and friends.

An afterthought: Sometimes, I'm really not in the mood for movies. I'm to engrossed on a book (the case here), or I want to see new episodes of Penny Dreadful... The thing is  that there are days in which I see myself without fulfilling this dare late at night. I found Away We Go by chance, at 11 pm, in Netflix, and it was a happy surprise. In minutes, I forgot about my book. Well, not entirely (I spent the night reading it afterwards, and I'm writing this post in a poorly zombie state), but at least during the movie I could enjoy the trip, relating to it immensely. 


Away We Go. Directed by Sam Mendes. With: John Krasinski, Maya Rudolph,
Allison Janey.  Writer: Dave Eggers, Vendela Vida. US/UK, 2009, 98 min., 

Dolby Digital/DTS, Color (Netflix). 

2 comments:

  1. I love this film. All the other characters along the way are great to watch, and Krasinski and Maya Rudolph play a really cool couple, you just root for them the whole time, cause they come across as normal people with difficulties, just trying to make it through. really nice film, it's one of those quirky ones that are just a nice treat.

    [ j ]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What amazes me on it is that how they think they'll not be able to deal with all the changes in their lives by themselves, and at the end they're so sensible and wise in their singular way. I fell in love with them.

      Today (june, 14), It was odd seeing John Krasinski all military macho in Aloha, in such a different role, with another face actually.

      Delete