2015/05/01

Day fifty-three: White Bird in a Blizzard (May, 1)

Another Cakeless day. 

Today, I had just a few hours after lunch to go to the movies, so I chose the film by the screening's time. And what was left for me was White Bird in a Blizzard, a last year's movie that only now is showing in the cinemas here.

I was curious about this story, about its apparent melancholic aura. I started to read the book by Laura Kasichke, but decided to wait for the movie. I don't know, there was a transcending atmosphere around it that made me rather see the story than read it. 

Images dominated by whiteness; the beautiful Eva Green, a mother that suddenly disappears; a coming of age tale... everything made look at this movie as special. I thought that I would leave the cinema today without any answers, but with a lot to think about life and human relations.

At each passing minute, I realized that it was not what I'd expected - awful expectations... It is a purely a thriller, and that should be enough. But I'd already created another story in my head. 

Well, the images we create. The movie is very matter of fact constructed, there's nothing left to imagination, and the poetic images are just to be seen, not felt. It reminded me a lot of The Casual Vacancy, by J.K. Rowling, that I wasn't able to stand because dirty little secrets in a suburb's community is out of time. Its shallow bitterness doesn't tell me anything. I think that the idea of a perfect family, or neighborhood, is not in our world anymore. Sure, we can live in a home that we don't really know, with familiar relations that is not what we think... There are still intimate secrets everywhere, but that doesn't made sense to me in the ways that White Bird in a Blizzard presents it. 

And all the surreal atmosphere that accompanied me to the movies today will have to wait for another movie. Because, despite all the suspense in this movie, everything is so blatantly clear that there's no place to imagination or things other beyond facts. 

White Bird in a Blizzard. Directed and writen by Greg Araki, from the
book by Laura Kasichke. With: Shailene Woodley, Eva Green, Thomas
Jane. France/US, 2014, 91 min., Dolby, Color (Cinema)

PS: The 80's soundtrack is great, though: The Psychedelic Furs, Echo and The Bunnymen, New Order, Tears for Fears... always nice to meet them at the movies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment