2015/05/19

Day seventy-one: Rust and Bone (May, 19)

I'm here with my heart on my hands.

It is funny how somethings are, the things that are connected even without our knowledge. Earlier today, I was waiting a medical appointment. On the TV, a movie that I couldn't hear, only see. A mother in a grocery store with her hungry son, without money to buy some food, takes a sandwich without paying. Her fear while leaving the store is so sad, there wasn't any need for words to realize that. I thought, for a moment, what it would be like to not be able to take care of your own kid. 

So, I shouldn't have been surprise when I just came across this same situation in the beginning of today's movie, Rust and Bone (De Rouille et D'os), with the always amazing Marion Cotillard and the surprising Mathias Schoenaerts. The first scenes are about a father trying to take his son out of the city, seeking for leftovers food on a train. The sadness and desperation are the main tone of this film, from its start, one however that at last speaks loudly about hope and love.

Tragedies are made of dubious matter. They can break us. They can mend us. All in the same disturbed and painful manner. That we sometimes need such a thing to put us in our own track is one of the saddest things in life.

The main characters are great: I wanted to hit them on one moment; the next, they brought a big smile on my face, particularly Alain, a guy that goes through life as if it is absolutely nothing at all, until he realizes that there's more to it. He is so full of nonsense sometimes, and at other moments he does the most unexpected right things. It is mesmerizing actually.

A strikingly good movie - despite the good reviews, I don't know why I wasn't sure about it. But it brought me a warm feeling about life in a day that I was asking the one carrying the world to stop it and let me out. 

Rust and Bone (Des Rouille et D'os). Directed by Jacques Audiard. With:
Marilon Cotillard, Mathias Schoenaerts, Armand Verdure. Writers: Jacques
Audiard, Thomas Bidegain from the story by Craig Davidson. France/Belgium,
2012, 120 min., Dolby Digital, Color (Cable TV).



No comments:

Post a Comment