2015/05/09

Day sixty-one: In China They Eat Dogs (May, 9)

What a way to end the second month in the One Movie a Day dare. Yesterday, the magnificent Tangerines... today, the crazy fun of In China They Eat Dogs (In Kina Spiser de Hunde).

There must be something very unusual in the water up there in the Nordic world. Their movies are so good, so sarcastic, heartbreaking, ironic, fierce, with strong, assertive and unique points of view about the world and humanity. They never cease to amaze me.

I Kina Spiser de Hunde is no different. Rodrigo gave me some Nordic movies in DVD a couple of years ago, and lazy as I am sometimes, I haven't seen any of them until I started this dare. How good these movies are, I'm regretting not seeing them before.

This one has dark humour and spiritual connections all along - yep, that last one really unusual in this kind of story. But the Gregorian chant playing when the two estranged brothers are together was a clue to something more in an terrific funny dark film. It was a Tarantino's kind of fun action, but done in a simpler, stronger and even acid way.

I laughed so hard, incredulously even. Some scenes are bizarre, others are pretty good (the car's chase at the robbery part). I was laughing, yelling at the screen, and, at the end, nodding my head during the nonsense dialogue at the final credits. 

Thanks, Rodrigo :)

In China They Eat Dogs (I Kina Spiser de Hunde). Directed by Lasse Spang
Olsen. With: Kim Bodnia, Dejan Cukic, Lester Wiese. Writer: Anders Thomas
Jensen. Denmark, 1999, 91 min., Color (DVD).



1 comment:

  1. I agree. There must be something in the water over nordic countries. They have a unique way too see the world, even a dark ways sometimes.

    ReplyDelete