2017/03/21

20 days to go: Julieta (March, 19)

Hey, Almodóvar, long time no see!

Every meeting with Spanish director Pedro Almodóvar is a big bet, you never know what you will find, but can be always assured that you'll get out of the theater a bit shaken at least - it doesn't matter much if we love or hate it. His last for features before 2016 were a bullet on the heart: The Skin I Live In (Jeez, what to say about this outstanding film?); Broken Embraces (one of the most intricate homages to cinema). Volver (a little lighter, but just a little) and, finally, Bad Education (another bullet). it is just to quote the last fours... and, yep, letting I'm so Excited (2013) out, if you don't mind. 

So, I was a bit surprised with Julieta, probably the most delicate Almodovar's movie (as Volver). The opening credits are pure Almodóvar, beautiful, pungent, smart, red. The soundtrack, make-up, suspense, those are all Almodóvar too. However, there's something here that was present in all his movies, but in a more hysterical frame: the tragedy and goings of a simple life, of a simple woman. Some expectations are overcame, which is always nice to see, and this movie never disappoints. So beautiful, sad, true, subtle even. The relations are palpable. 

Guilt is one of the more lethal venom in life. It spreads with a dreadful easiness. We all have our own, unfortunately. They live in us, around us, penetrating our surroundings, our loves, our more cherished things in life. That's what Almodovar bring us, taking our hand with such delicacy that it is impossible not to be amazed. Yes, he gave us some bizarre traits - we talking about the incredibly creative Almodóvar, after all. 

I've missed this movie at the theaters precisely because I don't take Almodóvar with an easy heart. I'm always a bit afraid of what I'll find in the cinema, because I know we never leave the theater unscathed. However, times and times this fear of mine has proven to be silly, and with Julieta I had one more proof of that. 





Julieta. Directed and written by Pedro Almodóvar, based on "Silencio", "Destino"
and "Pronto" by Alice Munro. Cast: Emma Suárez, Adriana Ugarte, Daniel Grao.
Spain, 2016, SDDS/Dolby Digital/Datasat, Color, 95min.

PS:  A couple of yers ago, I've bought a short stories book by Alice Munro mainly because I thought I had seen a lecture about one of her writings in wich an Spanish tour guide in Scotland meets the Loch Ness Monster. I was mistaken, the writer of fhis story is Rosa Monteiro, a El Pais journalist. However, it was a nice opportunity to get to know Munro, an incredible writer. The book is Dear Life, and I'm taking it in small doses (all of them scathingly strong and sad). 


2 comments:

  1. My experience with Almodovar is a bit fragmented, in the sense that I don't seem to recall much from his films afterwards, for some reason. I've seen only a few and, apart from Bad Education, I don't seem to absorb as much from them as I'd wish to. I think I should try again and harder, and maybe I could start with this one, what do you suggest? I've seen Volver and The skin I live in (that one I enjoyed a lot, actually, I remember that much). I'm aware that I need to persist on his filmography.

    [ j ]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almodovar has so many layers, faces, moods... I think every experience of him is a bit fragmented, as himself. My first Almodovar was Mujeres al Borde de un Ataque de Nervios (1988), and it is one of my favorites till this day (I should revisit it some day, if you want, we can see it together). I just love love love Abrazos Rotos - as always, I'm a little alone in this, though. Todo sobre Mi Madre is amazing, as many others... Volver is very delicate (there's a small curiosity in here, I'll tell you about it - it's nothing big, just a silly coincidence :).

      Delete