2015/09/01

Day 175: Edge of Tomorrow (August, 31)

I've missed Edge of Tomorrow on the theaters last year and I remember the main reason for that: at 2013, I was nicely surprised with Oblivion, a good sci-fi movie with Tom Cruise. So, just one year after, he was cast again in another sci-fi. I was a bit cautious then, on one of those weird precautions I use to relate to movies. 

Last night, I could regret the decision to not see it on a movie theater. Its visuals are great, and the big screen could add to the film. But watch films is not a rocket science. A friend once told me that the way I've watched Dogville wasn't valid - at home, I've saw it in three parts. He was of the opinion that a movie - and that one specifically - should be seen as a whole, and not at home like I did with Lars Von Trier's masterpiece. I felt a bit like that until the beginning of OMAD, and for that reason I rarely saw a movie at home, being far behind in watching many movies that I've missed on the cinema. 

Well, the circumstances are not ideal every time, if there is such a thing. And that has been one of the main lessons that I've been learning since March, 10. Since the first day of this year (before this dare then), I've watched 60 films at the movies and 143 at home. The fragmented form by which one usually sees a movie at home in no way spoiled the experience of watching it. There are different ways to be with a film, and this I'm realizing with this dare.

This much talking to say that I had a great time with this underestimated sci-fi movie. It flunked on the box offices at US, and I understand why, if I take myself as a referee on the subject. However, this movie is so good, clever, with the perk of Emily Blunt. It doesn't matter the role and the kind of production, as I've said here some days ago, she always delivers. 

I was surprised to read that the script was still being written at the beginning of the production. The editing is so spot on here, I would never imagine that the writing was not complete. The movie adapts the story from a manga turned into a book, and that is another tricky feature here. I haven't read any of those two, but the movie is solid in every aspect: writing, editing (fundamental in a back in time plot), performances. It has equal and smart doses of drama and humour, and it doesn't underestimate the viewer's intelligence. 

I loved it, even in the small screen at home. 


Edge of Tomorrow. Directed by Doug Liman. With: Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt,
Bill Paxton. Writers: Christopher McQuarrie, Jez Buttherworth, John-Henry
Butterworth from the novel All you need is kill, by Hiroshi Sakurazaka. USA/
Canada, 2014, 113 min., SDDS/Datasat/Dolby Digital/Dolby Atmos, Color (Cable).



No comments:

Post a Comment