2015/09/30

Day 205: Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials (September, 30)

For once, I'm following a series adapted from books that I haven't read. Oh joy. I'm enjoying the lack of suffering and the opportunity to just go to a movie and have a nice time with no ties to a loved book. It is like watching a tenis match when Federer is not playing - lots of fun and no pain :)

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials follows the first instalment with tons of good action, corny dialogues, a beautiful cinematography and a big production. It is nerve wracking and interesting, if you can pass over some of the cheesiest lines and the abrupt editing in some scenes, particularly on those when everything is terrifying - the characters are running from a big menace and, next, we see them waking up from a deep sleep. Oh, ok. 

The excessive number of different plots is a bummer too. That usually happens after the first book on a series: the initial idea is good, but in order to continue the story until the end of the apparently mandatory third book, the not so experienced new authors have to call upon all the hidden cards on their sleeves. And so many confusing twists are presented without making too much sense. But I was ok with that too. I was there just having fun, no strings attached, finally. At last, let's not forget the also mandatory love triangle... All the footprints of other YA trilogies are being faithfully followed here, even if it looks like there's a difference at first.

This way, it is a nice and gripping entertainment. I've read that this movie butchered the book. I wouldn't know about that, fortunately. I think that, after so much suffering on the cinema with lousy and ridiculous adaptations of stories that I like reading I deserve a time out, and just enjoy the mindless good action of the second installment on the good but not brilliant Maze Runner series.


Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials. Directed by Wes Ball. With: Dylan O'Brien,
Kaya Scodelario, Thomas Brodie-Sangster, Writers: T.S. Nowlin from the
novel by James Dashner. USA, 2015, 132 min.
(I haven't seen it pass, really),
Dolby Digital/Dolby Atmos/Auro 11.1, Color (Cinema). 

PS: Alan Tudyk was a nice surprise here, despite his brief cameo. I haven't see him for awhile, and he is the best in Death at a Funeral, 2007, one of the funniest and cleverer movies I've ever seen. 

1 comment:

  1. To be honest, I have close to zero interest in this franchises these days, they always feel now like a shot for money-making other than telling real good stories. I don't know, the last one I attempted, Divergent, was so disastrously horrible that I lost faith in the whole thing. I'll still watch the last part of the Hunger Games, but only cause I've come this far. I don't even need to watch it in the theater. I'm okay with watching it at home. And after that, I don't know when I'll have the patience to ever start another one of these. I miss the good old The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter days.

    [ j ]

    ReplyDelete