2015/09/26

Day 200: Everest (September, 25)

When I got into the cinema to watch Everest, I was in a weird state of mind. I was feeling angry, sad, annoyed by some things in my life, but I wanted very much to see this movie - and I was with my beloved niece and friend Mari, the greatest company to a movie.The things took a turn to worse when I realized that the father and kid behind our seats thought they were at their living room at home: the kid was kicking our seats, they eat popcorn as Huns and decided that the whole room would hear what they were talking about. For someone that was already in a bad mood, this was too much. So, Mari agreed with me and we decided to change seats, and another small disaster took place, taking our attention from the film. This way, when I looked at the screen, the movie had already begun.

From that moment ahead, feeling less annoyed, I could pay attention to the screen in front of me. Another thing happened to me, though. I've read about the events that took place in Everest on 1996 by Jon Krakauer's book, Into the Thin Air. I was reading it during a road trip with a boyfriend and his family, when I got to the end, and read the conversation between Rob and Jen. I hided my crying face on the window in an staggering sadness. That was my  main recollection of this story.

Trying to identify what I've read almost 20 years ago, I became overly rational when the movie is sheer adrenaline. I didn't allowed myself to forget that I was on a movie theater seat in order to climb Everest with those characters based on true incredible and brave climbers. Because this is what the movie is about: put you there with them during one of the biggest tragedies on Everest (it was the biggest disaster in that region actually, until events that took place just before this movie shooting in 2014). But I was too preoccupied in identifying characters and the pieces of the story I've read that I couldn't leave my seat and embark on that tragic climbing.

The movie is so good in bringing the events, people and the mountain to us that we almost die there - even me at that weird mood. It probably was crazy shooting it. And the funny thing is that, instead of being repulsed by the sport and the attempts to climb the highest point in the world, I'm more attracted to it each time I read something about it. It is the utmost challenge, and not for nothing so many want to conquer it (not always for the right reasons, I think, if we can determine what is right or wrong here).




Everest. Directed by Baltasar Komákur. With: Jason Clarke, Emily Watson,
Sam Worthington, Keira Kneightley, Josh Brolin, Jack Gyllenhall, Robin
Wright
(What is this cast???. UK/USA/Iceland, 2015, 121 min., Datasat/SDDS/
Dolby Digital/Dolby Atmos/Auro 11.1
(The amazing sound putting us on
different places...), Color (Cinema).

1 comment:

  1. I was so bummed that I missed this one in theaters. When I went to watch it along with Sicario, The Martian and The Walk, it was already out. This is the kind of flick you want to see on the big screen, with that loud, amazing sound system. Even though you're at risk of finding annoying people sitting right behind you. Oh, the humanity!
    Btw, what happend afterwards, when you guys changed seats, that made you miss the beginning of the film?
    It's good that you had proper knowledge of the real story beforehand, and that you had a personal experience with the book and it took you back to that time. That always makes watching a film ever more special, doesn't it?
    I'm still looking forward to this one, even if I have to resort to the comfort of my bedroom :)

    [ j ]

    ReplyDelete