2015/09/09

Day 183: The Man from U.N.C.L.E (September, 8)

Oh, this was so much fun, outstanding even. Guy Ritchie knows how to mix good action, fierce humour, a clever soundtrack, stunning scenes in order to tell a story, and he does exactly that in The Man from U.N.C.L.E

Based on the TV show from the sixties, the production opted for maintain the same time from the series, what adds a lot to the fun and stunning elements. I've never seen it before, and I certainly will look for the show now, even if I'm sure that both are very different. However, there's a lot of references here, and it would be nice to know their source on the TV series.

I've read that the movie alludes to the origins  U.N.C.L.E, a spy unit directed by a British with an American and a Russian secret agent working together on the most effervescent time of the Cold War. I'm not good in predicting things, but I think that some sequels are a sure thing, taking how the movie ends. 

It reminded me some of Tarantino's moves (that's what I meant, not movie :). At one moment came to my mind that Ritchie and Tarantino could have been twins, they have so much in common. But by growing up in different sides of the pond, they apply their caustic visions and use their many references with different tones. I thought a lot about Out of Sight too, and its amazing soundtrack that insert us right on the cleverness of the story.

I left the cinema in a light mood, very happy for the mere existence of fun and clever movies like this one. Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer have a good timing together, Alicia Vikander is a great complement to the cynical, competitive and sweet duo. This way I've spent almost two hours with a big bucket of popcorn and a clever spy action movie, in an almost empty cinema, what I could translate as heaven to me.



The Man of U.N.C.L.E. Directed by Guy Ritchie.  With: Henry Cavill, Armie
Hammer, Alicia Vikander, Hugh Grant. Writers: Guy Rithcie, Lionel
Wigram from the story by Jeff Kleeman et al. USA/UK, 2015, 116 min., Datasat/
SDDS/Dolby Digital/Dolby Atmos, Color (Cinema).







No comments:

Post a Comment