2015/06/09

Day ninety-one: Delicacy (June, 8)

There's a moment in Delicacy (La Délicatesse) when Markus says to the girl to whom he's developing a big crush that he would like to spend his vacations on her hair. At that instant, I was exactly thinking how this movie was like a happy and sunny holiday for me.

Floating in a pool on a breezy and sunny day. Closed eyes, the sun on my face... The first scene was like that to me. However, it was bittersweet, because, after reading the synopses, I've already knew that tragedy was intending to make a cameo in the story. 

And even so the movie keeps amazing me with its gentleness - the title is very suitable. I was laughing, crying, thinking how this movie is so, so lovely, that I don't understand why it is so underestimated. Markus is a great and important character, spitting in our face how prejudiced we really are - but he does that with a sweet big smile and gentle manners. Sheer love. 

Audrey Tautou, our honorable dear Amèlie, brings a lot to this story. Her face and delicacy alone could carry it, but there are others that compose in beautiful detailed bits this incredible narrative. People, objects (the John and Yoko's portrait above Nathalie and François' bed brought a big smile to my face), relations... everything is so careful woven that the feeling is almost overwhelming. 

It is odd, but I think a tradition is being created here. Every time I was not in the mood to see a movie, it turned out to be amazing and endearing. I don't remember the first time that happened, but I know that I thought how I was so annoyed to have to fulfill this dare, and the movie was actually amazing. The next was Away We Go. And now Delicacy came to take me out my crankiness, in an outstanding delicate and honest movie. 

Delicacy (La Délicatesse). Directed by David and Stéphane Foenkinos. With:
Audrey Tautou, François Damiens, Pio Marmai. Written by David Foenkinos,
from his novel. France, 2011, 108 min., Dolby Digital, Color (Netflix). 


No comments:

Post a Comment