2015/07/15

Day 127: Intimate Stories (or MInimal Stories - July, 14)

Some details looked familiar for me in Intimate Stories (Historias Mínimas), a small Argentinean movie. I wasn't sure if I had watched or not, until a character named his dog: Malacara. There, I had seen it a long time ago, I realized. This name is unmistakable. I've seen it probably 13 years ago, but I decided to continue anyway, there in the heartbreaking Argentinean Patagonia. 

Through an unusual day in the life of three inhabitants of a remote village in Patagonia, the movie depicts what life can be in such far way place. It is simple, quiet, vast, at some parts even suspenseful. I was divided between remember what would happen and create a new experience with this movie. He is so unpretentious, I wasn't surprised that he had slipped through my memory. Well', I'm getting old no doubt, and memory is something that rushes to fit old age, but I'm not used to completely forget a movie or that I've watched it. At the end, I understood why. It is not that it is unimportant or trivial, just the opposite. It is full of life in a delicate and quiet way, with the background of the stunning Patagonia to the extraordinary ordinary of three people in a God forsaken place. 

This movie is commonly referred as an South American The Straight Story, yesterday's film - and it was not by chance that I've seen them on consecutive days. Both are woven with vast scenery and careful details, but there's something staggering in the David Lynch's movie that is absent here. I'm wrong to embark on  comparisons like that, though. They are always a risk and a misunderstanding. However a movie can relate to other externally or by the way they touch us. And those both without a doubt have a nice chat when seated near each other.





Intimate Stories (Historias Minimas). Directed by Carlos Sorin. With:
Antonio Benedicti, Javier Lombardo, Javiera Bravo. Witer: Pablo Solarz.
Argentina/Spain, 2002, 92 min., Dolby Digital, Color (Netflix). 




No comments:

Post a Comment