2015/08/27

Day 170: Nobody Walks (August, 26)

It was late on the night, with less than one hour to the next day. I was exausted, not in the mood to even think about choosing a film, not even by the magic shuffle. So I looked tiredly at my stack of waiting DVDs and decided to choose the shorter movie on the pile.

I felt like it was the end of all illusions. But it wasn't, really. Just a way to stay true to this (wonderful) challenge.

I'm not sure why I bought Nobody Walks on DVD. Maybe it was a gift. I don't know. Even with John Krasinski in the cast, I don't think I would buy it. But the fact is that this film was living in my Pandora's box (the chest where I put my DVDs) for a while. The rating on imdb.com is staggering low, some comments fiercely state that the story goes nowhere, but I actually got interested by it. Movie production is a part of the plot, especially sound design, and just this element would be enough to hold my attention. But the film is not just it. The story is interesting too.

And it is not an easy one, despite not being heartbreaking or anything of the kind. It is just a blunt look to the way people can let their lives became a chance event.  And when the consequences of the way they're conducting their lives knocks on the door, they are surprised by how hurtful it is. It is not a moralist tale, as the part about the consequences could imply. It is just a view about the mess we can make of our and others lives. 

The film is co-written by Lena Dunham, what explains how crude and unforgivable  this story can be. And how the characters are just people, confused by what they want or don't want or what to do with all the empty space on themselves. Not a bad choice at the end.


Nobody Walks. Directed by Ry Russo-Young. With: John Krasinski, Olivia
Thirlby
(in a very unusual role for her), Rosemarie DeWitt. Writers: Lena
Dunham, Ry Russo-Young. USA, 2012, 86 min., Dolby Digital, Color (DVD).


No comments:

Post a Comment