2016/02/03

Day 328: The X Files: I Want to Believe (January, 31) + The X Files Season 10 premiere

I don't know why I was binging on The X Files with all this fondness. However, since the release of the new episodes, I wanted to look at it with more attention. After seeing the last episode of season 9, I thought it would be important to watch The X Files: I Want to Believe again (I saw it first at the movies in 2008), before reaching season 10.

As the episodes and movies are sequels, it was a nice choice. The thing is, there are some things on X Files that are not too developed. Intentional or not, there's big roles on the story, the sort of things that requires a complicity from the viewer. Because, if you think carefully, it doesn't make sense, for example, that a wanted FBI estranged agent is let loose after all the efforts to trial him for homicide (Mulder for murder :). There's a load of assumed things, and sometimes it is just laziness. Or excessive and sheer rush. The fact is that it could be more carefully drafted, for sure. the movie gives some answers for old questions in the series, at the same time that assumes too much. Anyway, I'll take the answers, thank you :)

The X Files' Movies and episodes are different parts of the same, and because of that I thought was important to talk about both at the same time. This film is a small part of a whole, and that's how it made sense to me. I should highlight the last scene on the final credits, though. It is so bizarre, so good, a small present to all the fans that had waited 6 years till they got some answers finally. And that's the main goal of this movie, I guess. 

The show is still great, still intriguing. The two main characters don't suffer from the lazy features that affect some parts of the story. They are layered, complex, and the duo good and familiar dynamics allow subtle manners in a plot full of violence and conspiracy. Mulder and Scully are iconic, for sure, and they are more than capable to sustain the whole series on their shoulders. That both David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson had time to develop themselves as actors in others relevant works (Californication, 2007, and The Fall, 2013, respectivelly) add more layers to their characters. A TV show that, by the way, raised the stakes to every sci-fi series that followed, as Fringe - which raised the  bet to an even higher level, I must add. 




The X Files: I Want to Believe. Directed by Chris Carter. Cast: David
Duchovny, Gillian Anderson, Billy Connolly. Writers: Frank Spotnitz,
Chris Carter, from the television series created by Chris Carter. USA/
Canada, 2008, 104 min., DTS/Dolby Digital/SDDS, Color (Cable TV).



No comments:

Post a Comment