2016/02/01

Day 324: Breakfast at Tiffany's (January, 27)

In one of the incredible happy birthday's messages I got on this day, one, from my friend Audrey, inquired which movie I was going to see on my B-day.

The question gave a great sense of achievement and happiness: how Omad is a part no only of my days, but has a place in my closest friends' perception of me. A beautiful birthday present <3


Audrey was the reason why Breakfast at Tiffany's is the movie on day 324. She wondered if there wasn't any movie about birthdays - only the next day I remembered Sixteen Candles. But there's a nice reason why I chose this Audrey Hepburn movie for a day that I like to celebrate even if in a quiet and introvert way. The celebration at night was full of closed and beloved friends, an amazing Blues duo, my old friend Jack,  good beer, food and funny moments, but earlier at afternoon, it was only me and some cherished memories.

We'd just have become good friends when Audrey was surprised by me saying that I've never had a birthday party. "That cannot do", this smart and talented friend told me. So we decided to organize The party, inspired by that notorious one in Breakfast at Tiffany's (the longest and hardest scene to shoot in the movie, according to the interesting trivia on imdb.com). Oh, I must say that the inspiration worked beautifully. Audrey's soundtrack for the party is the best I've ever heard. A small flat and 60 incredible people around (some of them I've never seen before :). The moment the neighbors called the police because of a loud party on a Monday night?  We were so happy, Audrey and me were hug dancing around the room, celebrating the police arrival. Crazy and happy friends, the best kind in the world <3

The Best Party (and birthday gift!) Ever (and there were other great ones after that) didn't end than or neither the guests were arrested as happens in the movie - I reckon police on the 2000's has a bit more tolerance to parties with amazing music and happily drunk people than the one on the '60s USA. Until this day, 13 years after The Party, Audrey and me love to tell our remembrances of this great way of celebrate life and friends. Because of that, the film was a great choice for this day. 





One that brought me many other memories, because Breakfast in Tiffany's has been a part of my life for a while. During the years I was still beginning to realize how important a movie could be in my life, I had a high preference for this Audrey Hepburn's film. Only a few years later I could understand what is subtly stated by this story, as the more complex features of those characters based on Truman Capote's novel. Apparently, there's not a whole difference between a 11 years old kid on the 80's or the censorship on the 60's. More few years and I looked at the book, realizing both are entirely different tales.

How outstanding this movie is to me is a fit explanation of why it was a way to debate the role of movies on someone's life on my first year of graduate studies in Education. My qualifying report was named "Moon River and Me", a reference Henry Mancini's famous song (written specifically for Audrey Hepburn for the movie). Two nights before my presentation, after being far from any academic studies for 12 years (I was a bit anxious, to say the least), Trying to make sense of what I was going to present, it was 10 pm when I found myself in front of my computer, looking for answers in a room illuminated only by the light coming from the screen. Then, completely out of the blue, Moon River was playing, apparently from nowhere. Later I found out that there was a band on the square near my flat - I couldn't see it, just listen, in what I think was a sign that everything would be ok - or that at least I was on the right track for me. 

I lost count of how many times I've watched Breakfast in Tiffany's. It never ceases to amaze me, every time for a different reason though. I don't know how it passed unnoticed the fact that Yunioshi is a photographer. Maybe it was because this character annoys the hell out of me, even if behind its bad characterization is no one else then Mickey Rooney. 

The opening sequence is the quintessence of beauty, sadness, enchantment, hope, solitude, self-awareness. On this day, I played it three or four times. I already knew what was coming next, and this first scene conveys all the heartbreaking and great moments that we will witness.  One thing that movies excel in is how they can depict the main struggles in life through just a few takes, without any dialogue even. How we could not be amazed by that?

I'm finally reading the book now. However, before reaching the Capote's novel that inspired this beloved movie, I had to be aware of how both are two different stories entirely. The characters have the same name, the setting is equally NY, most of the events are there, truthful to the book... But they are not the same, I think. It is  important to assert that one is not better than the other, as we usually do while comparing books and its adaptation on cinema. As I reckon had happened with other stories (As The Perks of Being a Wallflower, for example), they are not just the same. What the characters are telling us is different. From what I've read on the first pages, Paul Varjak is not the stray dog that reflects Holly's own struggles. It is still early to say anything about it, though. I think I might be wrong about it. Nevertheless, I can only repeat what I've just said: they're different, and that's with this realization in mind that I want to approach Capote's Holly. 

It is not soon to say, though, that Audrey Hepburn's Holly is by far my favorite.






Breakfast at Tiffany's. Directed by Blake Edwards. Cast: Audrey Hepburn,
George Peppard, Patricia Neal. Writers: George Axelroad, from the novel by
Truman Capote
(who was constantly in set). USA, 1961, Mono, Color (DVD).




PS: The last time I saw Breakfast at Tiffany's at the movies, a couple of years ago, I was sad when the whole auditorium was laughing at the drama of the last scene. I understand how the whole dramatic performance sounds weird nowadays, but even so. Unforgivable. 

PPS: There's a documentary (2006) about the making of Breakfast at Tiffany's. I found it on YouTube in two parts:






PPPS: Why I haven't see the commented version of this movie yet? Good question.

































No comments:

Post a Comment