2016/02/14

Day 337: Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist (February, 9)

It's not a cab, my friend, I promise you!
Nick

On days like this, when I'm so tired that I can hardly think, I'm not worthy of a new movie. Exhausted, only a familiar movie would do. And so I looked for a dear one. And I was missing Michael Cera already, since Scott Pilgrim.

This way, Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist was the perfect choice. Based on one of the three books Rachel Cohn and David Levithan wrote together, it is one of the few cases in which I enjoyed the film more than the book.

Don't take me wrong, I liked the book a lot, but it is harder, more crude than the super cute film. Since the first scene, before the title sequence, we know that we are in a special place. Songs, characters, actors... every detail here conspires to an overload of cool cuteness. Nick's friends are the best, the beefy guy is incredible, and even the over clichéd exes don't compromise this story.

And the soundtrack? A character by itself.

I always get to the end with my heart full. The city that is waking up to the two new lovebirds speaks really loud about youth and possibilities and the joy of finding people that understand us perfectly. That was not the last time I saw it, for sure (and now I want to re-read the book too :).



Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist. Directed by Peter Sollet. Cast: Kat Dennings,
Michael Cera, Aaron Yo. Writers: Lorene Scafaria from the novel by Rachel
Cohn and David Levithan. USA, 2008, 90 min., SDDS/Dolby Digital/DTS,
Color (Netflix).

PS: Cohn and Levithan wrote one of my favorite books in life. and it has a cameo here on Omad: in Dash & Lily's Book of Dares, Nick and Norah has a special cameo too. I was screaming (no shame at all) at the quote on the bathroom door that Lily finds out while looking for a clue from Dash: "The Cure. For the exes. I'm sorry Nick. Will you kiss me again?"

No comments:

Post a Comment