2015/11/25

Day 260: The Road (November, 24)

A nervous feeling was constant during The Road, so much that I had to stop the movie, do other things (update my lists on imdb.com per example) to be able to get back to this movie.

I don't think I've ever seen a end-of-the-world story with less concessions or something like that - except for one aspect, and that I won't tell, of course. The whole world is ransacked, and there's no abundance of empty houses and leftover food or other stuff, as we usually see in other apocalyptic productions. Human kind, as it seems, faded slowly after the apocalypse. There's no resources left, and the few people around struggle terribly to survive. There's only a few ways to find food: insects, cannibalism or sheer lucky.  

That a father is trying to keep his son alive was the harder here for me. It is despairing, there's not much he can do... and, after years of living hell, his mind is not so clear anymore.Viggo Mortensen conveys so much, all what was lost and the despair of keep going despite that. The kid breaks our hearts a million times until the very end. The desolate scenery, the lack of hope, everything is suffocating. There's no way out. I can only imagine what it would be for me to see this film on the movies.


The Road. Directed by John Hillcoat. With: Vigo Mortensen, Charlize Theron,
Kodi Smit-McFee. Writers: Joe Penahall from the novel by Cormac McCarthy.
USA, 2009,  111 min., DTS/Dolby Digital/SDDS, Color (DVD).


PS: Fragment: Jessica Jones, Season 1, episode 4. 


No comments:

Post a Comment