2015/12/09

Day 271: Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (December, 5)

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day first called my attention because of its name, of course. I'd have had days like that, and naming them as such is a kind of comfort. the ratings on imdb were low, so I put a hold on this. After all, with a cast that I like a lot, I wasn't willing to risk it. But this movie was on my radar for sure.

And it is not nearly as bad as the initial ratings could state, and its increase shows how this film is doing so much better on DVD than in the theaters. It is very unpretentious, cute, a lot of fun - I was laughing so loud at 2 am that I must have awaken some of my neighbors for sure. The main character, Alexander, is amazing, and that's one of the reasons why this movie is so easy to like. It is a hysterical comedy, but it is not cheap. We understand the characters - for sure, we've been on their place sometimes. Not in the same over the top way, I hope, but it is recognizable. The family relations are also recognizable. So, despite the crazy situations, it makes sense. If it doesn't, I'm sure will still laugh a lot - even if it is not your usual kind of comedy.

A small and annoying but: Steve Carell, an actor with undeniable timing for comedy, is terrible here. Not as such the Alexander's day, but he is numb. It is awful to witness such a thing from a great performer. But it doesn't comprimized the fun for me, for sure.


Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. Directed by
Miguel Arteta. With: Steve Carell, Jennifer Garner, Ed Oxenbould. Writers:
Rob Lieber from the book by Judith Viorst. USA,  2014, 81 min., Datasat/
Dolby Digital, Color (DVD).

No comments:

Post a Comment