2015/12/16

Day 279: Victor Frankenstein (December, 13)

Even for my life I wouldn't be able to enjoy the last take on the Mary Shelley's story, the movie Victor Frankenstein. I was expecting bad, but not this bad. For a start, I must say that this should have been a british production. 

It has a great (UK) cast (I really like James McAvoy), but so badly written that there was no salvation for this. Or at least I thought so, because a lot of people really had a good time with it. Not for me, though. I sustain my belief that Daniel Radcliffe's agent is the worst. I cannot even realize why such a bad project was even aproved.

The idea on it is good, actually - Frankenstein's story told by Igor's point of view. Ok, it is interesting, but a nonsense. I should read the book before saying this, but for what I know, Igor is a faithfull minion, not a lot more. The attempt to tell his story under a different perspective is nice, sure. But not very effective in this case, unfortunately. But I'll say more after reaching the book (it is about time I'd do that, for sure).

Igor reminds me Young Frankstein, one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Gene Wilder is a Frankstein who renegates his mad scientist grandfather and goes by the name Frankosteen. The first dialogue between him and Igor is so funny, it always comes to my mind when I'm talking about Frankstein. I'm not exagerating when I say that, for me, this remembering was the most fun I had during this film.

Another remembrance came to me during this movie: the outstanding view of Frankenstein's dilemmas on the TV show Penny Dreadful. Its third episode of the first season was a deal breaker for me. Never Frankenstein's story seemed so heartbreaking, hurtful, beautiful, poetic. I love the show, and I first fell hard for it during the episode that showed a closer look to Frankenstein, summoning his greatest or more frightening features.




Victor Frankestein. Directed by Paul McGuigan. With: James McAvoy,
Daniel Hadcliffe, Jessica Brown. Writers: Max Landis from the novel by
Mary Shelley. USA,  2015, 110 min., Dolby Digital/Dolby Surround 7.1,
Color (Cinema).

No comments:

Post a Comment