2015/12/30

Day 290: Love is in the Air (December, 24)

And the romantic comedy saga continues with another choice on Netflix. Despite being a bit traumatized by the previous day movie, I decided to check out Love is in the Air (Amour & Turbulences). The first surprise was that it is a French film. Even before someone could talk in here, the way the main actress achieves a perfect messy bun as soon as she gets out of bed is a french women's skill for sure.

However, this was one of the few lovely things on this movie. The story is good, it is entertaining and a nice flick, but for me the main couple is not captivating enough. They're just not interesting, besides the absolute lack of attraction between them. It is bearable most of the time. For me, the nicest trait on this film was how the main actress looks so much as a friend of mine. 

I must say that I'm not overly bitter these days. Tired, yes, but that's it. I've been just unlucky in the romantic features, I guess. Because both today and yesterday's films had everything to be a good entertainment and an interesting view on romance, and both failed for different reasons. This one is not so badly written, but it is not good also. That's ok, there's a lot of interesting and funny romantic comedies out there (is there? Maybe not).


Amour & Turbulences. Directed by Alexandre Castagnetti. With: Ludivine
Sagnier,  Nicolas Bedos, Jonathan Cohen. Writers: Vincent Angell et al.
France,  2013, 96 min., DTS, Color (Netflix).
PS: December, 24th brings a surprising revelation to Lily. It is not good, but an effective way to make her want to bust her safely happy familiar bubble more than ever. Her notes on the journal on this day are great just because of that. And Dash's answer to her is one of my favorite parts on this book (and there's many). 

This is how Shrilly was born, from people trying so hard to "protect" me. 
(Lily, page 61).

I've always resented Hermione, because I wanted to be her so badly and she never seemed to appreciate as mucha as I thought she should that she got to be her. She got to live at Hogwarts and be friends with Harry and kis Ron, which was supose to happen to me.
(That's Lily for you, in her best <3 - page 65).

"It looks like Animal and Miss Piggy had sex," I said. "And this was the spawn."
"My eyes!" Boomer cried. "MY eyes! I can't stop seeing it now that you've said it!"
(Dash, page 70).

Well, the meanings are out there. We're just so damn good at reading them wrong. It's not going to be explained to you in a prayer. And I'm not going to be able to explain it to you. Not just bexause I'm as ignorant and hopeful and selectively blilnd as the next guy, but because I don't think meaning is something that can be explained. You have to understand it on your own.
(Dash, page 70).

Because I hadn't knwon that I knew these things. Just having a notebook to write them in, and having someone to write them to, made them all rise to the surface. 
(Dash, page 71). 

But my gift to myself this Christmass Eve was a full retreat from the world.
(I enjoy a happy Christmas around my more loved ones - and this year it was really amazing - but a retreat from the world is always a favorite of mine - Dash, page 73).

PPS: If you have no idea what I'm talking about, go to the post scriptum on Day 287 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment