2015/12/28

Days 283 & 288: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (December, 17)

Furthermore, we have not even to risk the adventure alone, for the heroes of all time have gone before us. The labyrinth is thoroughly known. We have only to follow the thread of the hero path, and where we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god. And where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves. Where we had thought to travel outward, we will come to the center of our own existence. And where we had thought to be alone, we will be with all the world.
-- JOSEPH CAMPBELL

It took me a long, long time to finally be able to write abut Star Wars: The Force Awakens. First, I needed to see the movie again, to be sure of my bearings in a less emotional manner (that's why there are two days in this post). Second, Christmas was around the corner, and the days went a bit crazy.

It is weird to talk about this film only now, after I've said and heard so much about it already. On the second screening I could access what I had thought from my first impressions: the first episode of the third trilogy of Star Wars is amazing. It was able to present a heartfelt mix between the previous movies, especially the oldest trilogy, and a new beginning. 

J.J. Abrams is very resourceful, we know that - at least while he is invested in something (Alias and Lost, great TV shows, suffered from his neglect and are a sad testimony of what happens when Abrams get interested in a new project, forgetting that he has already something good on his hands to finish). However, even if I believe in his incredible ways of presenting good (and old) stories, I was a bit suspicious about Star Wars. I entered the midnight showing  on this day very afraid of what I would see, with great expectations and a cautious heart. 

Mandy and me found a nice seat on the floor, near a red lightsaber and extreme fans, in front of the gigantic screen. Darth Vader was in the house too, and I was spooked when we crossed ways by the restroom exit. The atmosphere before the movie was effervescent, to say the least. We had no time to buy popcorn or soda before the movie, so my intention was buy it during the screening. After all, as I've told at the time Amanda, there's usually some boring scenes that allow a brief scape. As if.

From the first letter on the screen til the very end, I wasn't able to avert my eyes from what I was seeing. Neither the discomfort of the floor, the noise around me or the foot tapping near my head could avert my attention also. The pace is insanely good. The main character is absolutely endearing, and the fact that it's a girl is great - a nice change from the other episodes, that, despite presenting strong female roles, had mostly male protagonists. Rey is amazing, and I fell in love for her immediately - only a few didn't, I think.

I've read a lot of comments about how the Episode VII is not really a sequel, but a kind of a remake, because it mimics the previous trilogy events. I try to understand the fan's expectations and all, but I couldn't relate to that view, that sound plain stupid. For me, this movie has a perfect combination of what made Star Wars such a permanent part of popular culture and what means to continue the story nowadays. The new is there, beautifully represented by amazing new characters. What we recognize from the other movies is there too, in a respectful, funny, endearing, heartbreaking and surprising way. Those old characters are myths today, and the way this new chapter honors that is truly great. The usual elements of the Hero's Adventure are still present, and it is a sight to the eyes see who well a cherished story is well constructed in this new installment. Coherence was the word that came to my mind at that moment - aesthetically and in the storytelling. I reckon it is actually outstanding.

I was so surprised at the end at how good this new movie is that I had to see it again to be sure. The small (and annoying) but here was how weak the villain is - a spoiled brat, that's what I thought about Kylo Ren. But there's more to come, and from the many theories from fans, it will be good. I'll wait expectantly, a little bit less afraid of what is coming ahead, now that I've seen that there's a lot to wait for and not much to be scared (I hope).


Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Directed by J. J. Abrams. With: Daisy Ridley,
John Boyega, Oscar Isaac. Writers: Lawrence Kasdan, J. J. Abrams, Michael
Arndt, from the characters created by George Lucas. USA, 2015, 135 min.,
12-Track Digital Sound/Dolby Atmos/Dolby Surround 7.1/Dolby Digital,
Color (Cinema).

No comments:

Post a Comment